Monday, December 28, 2015

Sunday December 27th - a southern exploration day

This morning we were up for the sunrise, then enjoyed a bit of coffee and wandering around the grounds.  G quickly discovered some teeny tiny crabs digging holes in the sand, so we spent some time sitting and watching them.

Checking for predators... 

Throwing sand at me

We had breakfast in the room while we gathered up our photography gear and debated about where to go.  Since we drove north yesterday, we decided to head south today and see if any sites looked interesting.  We headed to Poipu where we looked around at a few shops, then decided to stop for an early lunch.  We grabbed a table at the Dolphin right as they opened.

G is checking out her camera.

While we loved the Dolphin in Hanalei last year, we do feel that this Dolphin is a little lacking in menu items, though the service was great and once again my allergies were addressed well by our waiter.  I had the fish of the day, which was striped marlin, simply grilled on a salad.


G was happy with her burger, however D would have preferred cabbage on his fish tacos rather than the same peppery/bitter lettuce I had for my salad.

After lunch, we stopped off to see what the lighting looked like at Spouting Horn.  This is a spot where the holes in the lava cliff create a spout for the waves to crash through, creating a mini-Old-Faithful effect.  With the high surf, the Spouting Horn was an impressive site today.

Look!  I'll actually be *in* our family photo album!

I took this shot of the entire cliff to show the horn, along with the cauldron-looking hole behind it.

I shot this one with my edge 80 optic.

We meandered further along the coast and made a stop at Glass Beach, which was a place I'd missed on our last trip.  The beach is so named for the abundance of wave-smoothed glass found on the shore.  The glass washes up right there due to the dump/recycling plant located on the cliff right above it.  The drive there is not pretty (in between huge, dirty, industrial smokestack looking buildings, follow the dirt road to the water).  The beach itself is rather small and, given the surroundings, feels a bit dirty, however the view through the zoom lens makes for sparkly photos.



We circled back toward the highway and made a quick stop at the Kauai Coffee plant, where we taste-tested a few blends.  As we walked out onto the grounds, I spotted a rainbow off in the distance, and I scooted to the edge of the property to get a shot.

My camera bag was in the car, so I only had my edge 80 optic on me at that moment.

On our way back around to the condo, we decided to stop off and check out Lydgate Beach.  This is a place I'd researched before this trip as a potential snorkeling location that is close to the condo, yet protected from big waves.  The beach does not disappoint... here are G and I standing in the "tide pool", a huge protected swimming area complete with fish, and very protected from the high surf beyond.

As soon as the storms pass, we'll be spending a whole day here.

After my grand adventure at trying nigiri last night, D really wanted to go to a sushi restaurant for dinner again so that I could continue my eating adventures.  We stopped off at a couple of places that had good reviews, but it turns out they were closed on Sundays, so we ended up picking a regular restaurant to try for dinner in Kapa'a.  We had to drive around the block to park, then as we got out of the car another rain shower began to pick up energy.  We ducked into a doorway, which happened to be the door to Sushi Bushido.  D's wish came true!

The tables were held for reservations, so we were seated at the sushi counter.  This turned out to be excellent as the head sushi chef worked directly in front of me, and I was able to ask him ingredient questions throughout our dinner.  They were very careful to keep egg stuff away from the food they prepared for us.

Large orders of edemame are LARGE.  And the Mai Tais come in pints!

Our shared plate of nigiri.  Yes, that is octopus on the left.  No, I did not eat it.  D did, and said it "wasn't bad, just a bit rubbery".  Gross.  (The ebi next to it was my piece for that order)  Nigiri is supposed to be a single bite of food, but each one of these pieces took two bites for me to finish.

I had simply grilled ahi for my main dinner plate. 

G opted for tempura shrimp.

After dinner, my early mornings caught up to me... I think I was in bed sound asleep by about 8:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment