Saturday, May 14, 2011

Monday May 9 - Beach recovery day

After spending such a large portion of the previous day in the van, we decided to take Monday as a lazy beach recovery day.  I slept in until about 7:30, wandering out to the deck to find some coffee and breakfast.  We settled our stuff into the chairs and did some swimming and fish feeding.  I've noticed that the morning temperature is about perfect until around 7:45... then the sun has come over the trees and is hitting the sand, then if there is absolutely no breeze things heat up fast.  I've stopped applying sunblock before breakfast, opting to be as comfortable as I can be while eating food. 
We swam for a long time, feeding the fish, searching for shells, chatting with people and generally floating around.  G created a new game where she has me lay over a mat and she tows me around in the water, up and down the beach.  When I feel too warm from the sun I dip into the water, then climb back on for more towing.
For lunch we decided to eat at Chill Awhile, coming in from the sand to sit at a table and grab some grub.  I ordered their jerk chicken and fries.


After lunch we decide to take a walk down the beach, past the Waves market, to Ozzie's stand. 
Ozzie is a guy we met last year, who used to be set up inside the market.  We would pass his stand every day, he'd chat with us and ask us to buy something, and D kept saying "you just don't have anything that's grabbing me".  One afternoon Ozzie said "Aw man, at least buy me a beer sometime!" so the next time we came down we brought him a beer.  This afternoon we did the same thing, grabbing a beer from the bar on our way up the beach.  When we arrived Ozzie was all smiles, laughing and introducing D to the guy he was playing dominoes with.  G and I spent some time looking over his stand while D got into a game of dominoes for money.  He did really well, though in the end he didn't win, he kept it really close.  Ozzie seemed impressed that he could play.
S, D, G and Ozzie
D playing dominoes.
I spent some time taking pictures of the stand with both my digital and the Holga.  Ozzie saw me loading film and started asking questions about the camera - "they still make cameras that take film?  What is that?"  I told him the little nuances that I like about shooting with the Holga and we spent some time chatting about that while D continued his game.




By the time D was done playing, G had picked out a wood carving for herself and some bracelets for friends back home, and we headed back to the chairs to get a little more swimming time in before showering up.
We decided to stay around Idle Awhile for dinner, so after enjoying the sunset we grabbed a table on the deck and looked over the menu.  I ordered the shrimp rundown... which was excellent (shrimp in a sauce made from coconut milk, papaya, and other goodness)
My shrimp rundown, rice and peas, and veggies

 G likes to sketch while we wait for our food.  This is her stingray.

For most of the trip I've stayed away from blended drinks because they are so filling, but tonight I decided to have a dirty banana as my dessert.

After dinner we hung around the bar again, getting into games of dominoes and exchanging stories before finally closing up the bar and turning in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment