Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wednesday May 11 - beach day

Today the weather dawned a little bit on the cool side and was somewhat overcast, so when I woke up in the wee hours of the morning (crickets still chirping) I actually turned off the ceiling fans.  I slept in until about 7 or so, when I went to make my coffee for the day.  Then the heat came up over the trees and I was back to increasing air circulation to avoid sweating.

This morning's fish feeding was interesting.  The water was calm, and from the deck looking out to the ocean I could see what looked like large, dark ameobic like orbs undulating under the surface of the water.  I watched these shadows move... the circle changing to an oval, then suddenly splitting to two half moon shapes, then elongating to one mishapen 8 foot long stretch of shadow.  When we got into the water with the masks we were able to see that these odd shapes were being caused by a massive school of jack fish.
The shad we have been feeding daily
Big giant school of jack fish passing by
A closer shot of the jack fish

These fish utterly ignored our bread feeding, and the shad we have been feeding darted in and around the school, causing the school to split and go around.  When I floated on the surface and watched they would simply stream by me, like commuters on their way to work, ignoring the tree off to the side of the road.  They moved with casual ease until something frightened them, then they would split and dart away.  I stood up and looked over to find a 4 foot piper (one of those blue spikey fish that feed on the surface, only massive in size) trying to catch himself a bite.

For lunch Ty drove us over to Sweet Spice, a local restaurant in town.  I had the curried shrimp, which was cooked to perfection.


For the afternoon we were back at the beach to soak up some more swimming. The sand in the sunshine became so hot that it actually burned my feet to walk on it barefoot - we had no cloud cover the entire day so by the end of the beach time I was dodging sunny spots, opting for shadows and walking across the deck of the bar to get back to my room.  After a good bit of swimming and lazing about, we cleaned up and got ready for dinner.  Ty had suggested a place called the Hungry Lion - his #2 spot to eat in town.  It is a vegetarian/seafood restaurant, but with a surprisingly varied menu.
The Hungry Lion is upstairs
Part of the mural at the entrance
G at dinner
Relaxing and waiting to order
The interior of the restaurant also had a variety of murals painted on the walls

Appetizers included hummus with pita, and also peppered quesadilla.  For dinner options they had a variety of pastas, some with seafood some plain, a couple of seafood plates, and a couple of Asian inspired tofu.  I had the Thai Curry tofu, which was served with rice and peas, ratatoulli, and a bit of grilled plantain.
One of the more interesting fusion meals I had.

G is super happy with her pasta.

After dinner we were back at Idle Awhile's bar for a night of domino challenges and good conversation before bed time.
 
 D with Jermaine, Sonia and King

No comments:

Post a Comment