Wednesday, January 4, 2017

January 1, 2017 - Happy New Year

I woke early enough on New Year's Day to meander down to the beach and watch the sunrise... I didn't bring my camera gear, instead I just enjoyed the view while sipping my coffee.  

We decided to head to Art Cafe Hemingway for breakfast again and I enjoyed another lovely muesli breakfast and Americano.  From there we headed back to the room to load up our beach gear and head north to Hanalei to spend some time in the sand.  I ended up also bringing by camera gear because I wasn't sure how long we'd be on the sand and whether or not some photo opportunities would present themselves.  

G and I enjoying the warm sand.

I wandered down the beach a bit to get a shot of the Napali area beyond the bay.

I spent a while watching the waves and trying to capture curls.  The beach was so busy that it was difficult to get a shot without people in it.  (there are actually about 3 surfers in this shot, diving through the wave)

After watching a bunch of people in the water, G decided she wanted to give boogie boarding a shot.  I went out into the water with her and talked about timing the waves.  She enthusiastically jumped into one wave, but after a few seconds of riding she pulled up too high on the board, the wave hit the tip and pitched it forward, and she went over and rolled.  I was next to her and helped her up, but the waves were so big she decided to call it quits with the boogie board and just stay in the chairs for a bit.  I ate my sandwich and some fruit while we dried off, then after a little more wandering we decided to head into town for lunch for G and D.  G picked Chicken in a Barrel, in the Hanalei. 


Outdoor seating around Chicken in a Barrel (the orange building)

I had some fries, G ordered chicken which comes with brown rice and chili, which she tore into with the reckless abandon of one who has tangled with the ocean waves.

After lunch we decided to head back towards the condo.  Along the way we stopped at an overlook to check out on the horizon for whales, and we found a low tide area with lots of tide pools at the bottom of the path, so - after watching the water for a long time to ensure the tide wasn't rising -  we headed down there to look around.

D and G poking around at tide pools.

G at our chairs... I parked it in a chair for a while and took shots of the waves with my zoom lens


G enjoyed watching the tiny fish zip about in the tide pools

I caught a series of waves with my zoom, this is one of my favorites.

Same vantage point, different lens

After the tide pool adventure, we got back to the room and all got into the pool for a bit.  G and I took turns on the water slide:


The pool winds around the property in a river-like way, which has lots of nooks and crannies, with benches built into a few corners, and three waterfalls.  One of the waterfalls has a cave behind it.



 After getting decently waterlogged, we cleaned up and decided to check out Art Cafe Hemingway for dinner.  

G and D... notice behind them there is a light fixture dangling from the ceiling which is made from an old camera.  The drawing of Hemingway is the large piece of art on the far wall.

They still had their Christmas decorations up... it really doesn't feel like early January when it is 76 degrees outside.

I started with their vegan green pea and ginger soup, which they serve in teacups.

D and I shared a fondue for two for dinner.  It comes with bread, and to make it a meal you can add apples, mushrooms, potatoes, or sausage... or do a combo plate of everything.  We did the combo plate.  D and I were pleasantly surprised that we both enjoyed the raw mushrooms.  We'd never thought to add them to fondue at home, but if you soak them in the cheese long enough to warm them up they are very tasty.

Dessert... chocolate fondue for G, and chocolate creme pot for D.






No comments:

Post a Comment