Sunday, April 13, 2014

Friday April 11 - more beach adventures

This morning dawned clear, and the water calmed... though yesterday's weather churned up a lot of seaweed and other coral reef inhabitants in the water. I sat on our porch and had a breakfast of toast with peanut butter and coffee again, as I updated my blog and worked on backing up my photos. After a bit of time, I wandered down to the bar with my computer and sat there, camera at the ready for birds, and going through my bird book to label the birds I'd shot thus far. One of the other guests, a lovely elderly woman, approached me and said “I couldn't help notice your book... I have the same book... where do you go birding when you visit?” We fell into a very enthusiastic discussion about birds, birding, and local bird names which I rarely have the opportunity to engage in. It totally made my morning.

This heron seems to be at the beach every morning, hunting lizards and crabs on the fringes of the beach just after dawn. I have enough photos of this critter to fill a book.

One of my conquests for the day... a young Jamaican Woodpecker exploring one of the big palm trees on the edge of the property.


Throughout the morning I watched as people walking the beach stopped to examine the line of seaweed washing ashore... several starfish were being forced up onto land, and one family took on the task of gathering them all up and swimming out to the buoy line to set them free in deeper water. Unfortunately, one of their family members ended up stepping on a sea urchin and embedding a few spines into the bottom of his foot. He was fine, after removing the spines, but I opted to stay out of the water for the day.

The life guard, Aaron, saw what I called the “icky stuff” in the water (that's the scientific term)... and set up a bean-bag toss game as an alternative form of beach entertainment. G and I jumped right to it, and gradually other people joined us in taking turns. It turned into a big competitive match, full of our ubiquitous family trash talk and loud celebrations of victory and defeat.
As my niece would say... (several times over)  "I got this!"

G has decided we need a version of this game in the back yard this summer.

Uncle D gets into the game too.

The life guard, Aaron, shows us how to play

We all take turns and eventually team up.  For the record, my niece B and I were the big winners - and by the end of the game I'm fairly certain everyone within 3 resorts heard our victory cheer.


Throughout the day, we all gathered either on the chairs at the beach, at the bean-bag game, or at the tables in the bar... either playing dominoes, cards, or reading books. It was a lovely and relaxing way to spend the hotter parts of the afternoon. Since our hotel planned on having a live band play that night, we decided to stay there for dinner. Gradually we all cleaned up on our own schedule, and eventually gathered at the big table in the restaurant to enjoy some great food and music. D made a trek down to the kitchen to talk to the chef about having some sort of “off the menu” dinner of the chef's choice. I ordered shrimp rundown, which was quickly becoming my favorite Jamaican dinner.

Me and my niece, C.  The drink in front of me is D's punch recipe... pineapple and orange juice, coconut rum, a dash of strawberry syrup (which sinks to the bottom) and a float of Myer's dark rum (which makes the color on the top)  
My dinner.  Shrimp rundown.  Yum.
My sister and D... and G's "photobomb" arm



We stayed for the entire set of music from the band. As much as I enjoy Bob Marley in general, it seems to be the general theme of every live performance to play “One Love” and “Three Little Birds”, and by about the second week of the trip we were all growing tired of hearing the same exact songs over and over again. This particular group did play their own original music (though they included the obligatory “One Love” in the show) but also played someUB40, to my great delight. I might have startled my nieces with my enthusiastic reaction when the band broke into “Red Red Wine” and I exclaimed “THIS IS MY JAM!!” After the show, my sister went and talked to the lead singer. She bought two of his CD's and then asked for permission from him to play the music in her classroom.   

After the band cleared up their gear, a few of our crew headed up to bed while the rest of us stayed around the bar to finish up our drinks and play a few games of dominoes with the staff.

You'll notice... I've managed to capture the sly smile of D and the eye-roll of M once again.

D and M ended up heading out for a late-night soccer game off the deck while I stayed around and played a few hands of dominoes with King before it was time for him to go home.  At that point, we all turned in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment