Saturday, April 13, 2019

April 12 - all sunshine and blue skies

After such a rainy afternoon and into the night, it was lovely to wake up to perfectly clear blue skies and bright sunshine.  I spent a little time backing up photos on the deck and watching a few birds pop around the trees before heading down to Bizot for breakfast.

Blue Mountain coffee and a lovely view

After breakfast, G and I moved our beach chairs directly in front of the porch

The view from the porch to the spectacularly beautiful Caribbean sea.

The wind and water were the calmest we'd seen since arriving, so D and I took a couple kayaks out onto the ocean to explore the coastline.  I was nervous because the shore just off the property has a lot of coral structure which is important to avoid (both to keep from damaging the coral and also because the mild undulating waves will suddenly break when they hit the coral structures)   

D is off traveling up the coast

I went a little further and in closer than before to get another angle on Fleming Beach.  Sorry the horizon line was crooked, I was in a bit of a rush to snap the photo and keep paddling.

Further up the coast from Fleming Beach

Back in from kayaking, the three of us headed out to the beach to swim.  The beach changes quickly from sand to seagrass and then you have to swim out past the center island to get to the coral areas.  We didn't feel like heading that far out, so we came back in and switched to the pool.

When we ordered drinks, I had no idea they would be delivered to the pool!

We spent a major portion of the day by the pool, alternating between swimming and sitting with our books.  Lunch was back at Bizot with a bowl of peanut/red bean soup and side of fries for me.  Once we hung up our swim gear for showers, I headed out with my film cameras to take a series of photos of the massive Banyan tree at the front entrance to Ian Fleming's house.  

Goldeneye offers guests a cocktail hour on Friday nights down at Shabeem bar near the beach huts, which is also an excellent spot to watch the sunset.  As evening drew near, D and I sat in the beach chairs out front of the villa.

The view looking up from the beach chairs - still clear blue skies in spite of the predicted "thunder showers"

On our way to the cocktail hour I spotted another small blue heron at the playscape firepit area.


Enjoying a couple of drinks while waiting for the sunset.  The staff also came around with trays of munchies including plantain topped with ackee, which is (sadly) the only ackee I've had on this trip.

The clouds were minimal at sunset.

We had dinner up at the Gazebo restaurant again.  The entrance to the restaurant has a series of photos from the first James Bond movie, Dr. No, which was filmed in Jamaica.


Dan shot this panoramic of the restaurant lobby for me.

My drink of choice on this trip: Black Passion - Blackwell Rum, fresh orange juice, and passionfruit juice.
For dinner I had the marinated tomato carpacio salad and baked cauliflower again.  After dinner we headed back to the room to retire for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment