Wednesday, April 10, 2019

April 9, 2019 - Second Full Day at Goldeneye

I woke early Wednesday morning, gathered my Pentax camera, and ventured out to wander around the property.  I spotted a couple of new (to me) endemic Jamaican birds, a tanager and Grackle. 


Jamaican Spindalis aka Jamaican Stripe-Headed Tanager

Greater Antilliean Grackle, local name Cling-Cling

I meandered around the grounds down a small path to the main beach, where I spotted a bald pigeon sitting on a palm tree on the little island just off shore.  I've seen one on previous trips, but hadn't captured a good photo of one here yet.

bald pigeon - this is as close as it would let me get.  The bald pigeons are more shy here than the ones at Tensing Pen in Negril.

G had woken up a few times last night, so D and I headed over to Bizot for coffee on our own, and later G joined us for breakfast.

This morning I tried the local coconut yogurt, served with honey and fruit.

G wanted to lay down and catch up on a bit more sleep after breakfast, so I opted for a bit of kayaking around the lagoon.

My view from the kayak.  The lagoon surrounds an uninhabited island and has two entrance/exit points on opposite ends, one at the main beach and one at Button Beach.  It takes me about ten minutes to paddle around the entire island.


Our cottage from the water

The suspension bridge over the lagoon, leading out to the ocean.

D had borrowed a stand-up paddle board from the marina, and I took a turn paddling around on it.  Though it is relatively sturdy, and the water was very calm, I don't find it as relaxing as kayaking.

The trick is to "relax" and to not lock your knees, which means stand in a slightly awkward squat.

This is one of the fish who frequents our dock and I haven't been able to ID.  I didn't get a clear picture, but it has a sort of double-chin look, so it is not a parrotfish, but we've been unable to find the species in any of our snorkel guides or books.

After some paddling around, we decided to go pool hopping on the property.
G and I on the path leading to the Snorkel Cove area


G in the pool by Snorkel Cove - today they had the fountain part on which was fun to swim through.

We swam in the smaller Snorkel Cove pool for a bit, then decided to switch to the pools near Bizot Bar as mid-morning turned closer to lunch time.

Family photo at the Goldeneye saltwater pool (I'm in the reflection of Gayle's sunglasses)

We swam in both the larger main pool and the Goldeneye saltwater pool for a bit, then settled in over at Bizot for some lunch.

Fresh coconut water for rehydration.

Redbean and peanut soup with coconut oil and scallions - this was surprisingly filling and quite tasty.  G and I also shared the coconut poached snapper for lunch.

After lunch we headed back to the room to clean up and relax. I gathered my camera gear and went for a photo walk around the property.
I find the porous rocks along the coastline intriguing.  

Tiny lizards everywhere!  As I walked down a path, a few lizards darted in and out of the protection of the tree roots.

On my way back to the room this northern mocking bird patiently posed on a nearby tree for me.

I had noticed dark clouds to our west earlier in the day, and sheets of rain coming down past Ocho Rios, so I expected rain to hit us at any moment all afternoon.  Most of the afternoon stayed just cloudy and windy, though, with only a hint of sprinkle now and then.  We decided to venture out to Shabeem bar near Snorkel Cove late in the afternoon, and as we sat taking to the bartender and enjoying our drinks, the anticipated rain finally hit.

Difficult to photograph in the bright sunlight, but the rain poured off the thatched roof of Shabeem bar.

G made the best of the rainy afternoon and worked on a painting.

Dinner was at Gazebo once again.  I started with the marinated tomato carpaccio again, and for my main dinner I ordered the cauliflower with vegetables 

There is a whole head of cauliflower under this veggie medley, it was truly amazing flavor

All the early mornings, late nights, and lack of nap today caught up to me and upon returning to the room I tucked myself in with my eye mask and noise-canceling headphones and fell asleep almost immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment