Monday, April 1, 2019

The best-laid plans... and all that...

My intentions to complete the Maui trip log before the end of March have, alas, gone awry. 

The original purpose of this blog was to share my trips in real time with friends in a format that offered more room for descriptions than other social media platforms.  For the first couple of trips I managed to stay as close to real-time updates as internet connection would allow, however with later trips I found myself increasingly lagging.  My June 2018 Maui/Kauai trip was an experiment in taking daily notes with the intention of writing out full descriptions - full of photos - immediately upon arriving home.  This experiment clearly did not work the way I had intended.

Part of my struggle is my increased interest in shooting with film, which I thought would be fun to include in the blog, but cannot be included in real-time.  I talked about this at a recent artist group meeting, and a member described how a friend of his had structured their travel blog to be "Each day broken down to one photo, 500 word description, nothing more".  I think if I attempted to do that I would spend more time agonizing over which ONE photo to include than I would spend editing and uploading ten photos, so as a time saver on my end I'm not sure that formula would work.  I do like the concept of restraint in real-time posting, though. 

So, similar to the restraint I am showing in the camera gear that I chose to pack on my upcoming adventure, I have decided to apply some self-imposed guidelines on how I write my daily summary blog posts.  I will come back and complete the Maui/Kauai story at a later time, and I'll backdate the blog posts so that they appear in chronological order.  This post serves as a bookmark between the projects, and the next trip will (if all goes as planned!) updated in real time, but sans film images.

No comments:

Post a Comment